Sunday, September 27, 2026

Review: Buddy (2026)




Review: Buddy (2026)

By William pattison

This time I’m reviewing a film about a kid trying not to be taken by a demonic kids show. Odd, have I seen this plot before??? Amusingly I have, but I’ve seen a hell of a lot of horror films. It doesn’t bother if I see resemblances in films…

In 1999, a group of amnesiac children live in the episodic world of It's Buddy!, a children's television show hosted by the tyrannical Buddy, a bright orange, humanoid unicorn with a purple heart on his chest who lives in his wacky clubhouse. When the children begin to defy their captor after one of the kids disappears, Buddy grinds his teeth and sends them on a perilous journey to the mythical Diamond City. Meanwhile, in the real world, traumatized suburban mother Grace is drawn into Buddy's abomination.

His is a wonderfully done dark parody of a bunch of hysterical children’s programming. Think The Teletubbies turned Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The Buddy show is crafted perfectly with LOTS of orange, reds,and yellows. Also plenty of freaky puppet action. And then there are the song, which gives me the twinges because I was the wonderful uncle who got stuck watching Barney and Friends for fives years, four episodes each session…Aaaaaah! Sorry!

Save me! Orange fat horse…Purple fat dinosaur…Is there something traumatically familiar? Mommy!!!

Even worse, Buddy is a hugger…a demanding hugger.

The kids in this film are your standard kid show kids and they really have no backstories except now suddenly they decide to go against Buddy.

One part I really loved was when the took off from the clubhouse and found the creepy cowboy puppet and the gold miner guy. I honestly the gold miner was going to go cannibal on the kids. Thankfully not. But what happens to these two members of Bubby World is not much better. All I can say is don’t piss off Buddy!!

All in all I found this film a very interesting take on parody horror. I’ll put this one up there with Thankskilling 3!!! AWSIMETACULAR!!!