Review:Witch Trap(1989)
By William Pattison
This time I got Keven S Tenney’s second film, that is not a
sequel to Witch Board, even though the poster initially makes you think it is…
Witchtrap (1989)
The entrepreneur Devon Lauder hires the paranormal
investigator Agnes Goldberg to go with her team to the inn he has inherited
from his evil uncle Avery Lauter in a county in California since the place is
haunted. He also hires the security agency owned by the skeptical Murphy to
protect Agnes's group. On the arrival, they stumble upon the strong but creepy
gardener Elwin. Soon Agnes decides to have a seance, and immediately after, the
video technician Ginger Kowowski is murdered in the shower, but Murphy and his
men believe Elwin is the killer. But soon enough, they learn that they are
wrong.
Ok, people. Welcome to Lauder House, also known as Slaughter
House thank to the fact that the former owner, who looks amazingly like
Malfedor is haunting the place qndkills anyone who dars enter.
I love this kind of film. My favorite ghost films are The
Haunting and Legend of Hell House.
Yes, I was one of the fools who grabbed this film at the
video store only to read the disclaimer, in tiny writing that this is not a
sequel to Witch Board. Yes, I was disappointed because I loved Witch Board and
was waiting for a sequel. But then I
watched the film and really loved it.
J P Leobrosen returns, but as the dark warlock, Avery
Laughter. Avery look amazingly like another killer spirit named Malfedor, but
this time JP has a hell of a lot more screen time for this time.
Up against Avery Laughter are the Paranormal couple Agnes and Felix Goldberg, played by Jody Tatum and Ron Zapple. Along with the the
Goldbergs is research assistant Ginger Kowalky, who dies while taking a sexy
shower while in a hell house with a killer ghost…Do I have to say more ? Also
we have physical medium Whitney O”Shay, played by Kathleen Baily (does Tenney
have a Kathleen obsession when it comes to mediums?) Amusingly O’Shay was the
first time I heard about a physical medium in film. Though I later found out
that real physical mediums are nothing like what was presented. A real physical
medium can touch an item and give you a complete history on it. Tenney’s
physical medium is a channel that a ghost can use to effect people and objects
in the living world. The medium has a a
ner epeleptic attack wilhile the ghost is using her in this film. This is
completely made up. I thought should mention that.
Also unlike the researchers in the other films this
paranormal time had the for thought of hiring a security team. This team is
composed of the Frank Murphy, played by Jack W Thompson,L Jackson, played by Clyde Talley Il. And, finally the hero of the
film and scepticTony Vincente, played by James W. Quinn.
This film is very much done in the Tenney style ,like Witch
Board, but a bit more gory (a head explodes and don’t forget the bloody death
in the shower.
Once again I think the budget was the reason for the style,
unfortunately. It is one of the major reasons I can’t stand Temney’s later
works, including the Witch Board remake.
The name sake of this film is an actual thing in the story.
The Witchtrap is in fact a white box with a blinking light. It literally vacuumed
up spirits and kick them inside. Does it work? Spoilers! Let’s just say it works as well as the machine in
Legend of Hell House.
As I said in an earlier review I was very disapointed when
Tenney’s style changed I think if he
embraced his original style like John Carpenter did for the majority of his
career (he only vneared with his last film The Ward…).
So, all in all I have to say that this film is TENNTACULAR!!!!!